Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Did NOT Eat the Green Cake

For those of you that know all of the cake business-business, I had 3 cakes to make for over the weekend - 2 for a great family friend Scott and 1 for a friend's sister (thanks Frankie & Amy, by the way) soo... my thoughts for one of Scott's cakes was a huge Harley tire cake with biker flames (it was 7" high by 14" around - it was a big ol cake) - anywhoo, since he is an extreme "Go America" guy, I thought that it would be a fun surprise to make the inside of the cake red, white and blue layers.

I made the red velvet layer, no problem ... then the vanilla layer, no problem ... then I thought I would cut a corner and use yellow cake mix for the blue - obviously not remembering my color lessons from elementary school (yellow and blue make what boys and girls? green) well, after ALL of my blue dye, I thought the blue color was close, it was a pretty dark shade of turquoise and put it in to bake - 85 minutes later, I took it out of the oven and it was dark turquoise ... is it green or not I ask Curtis - it is close enough he says

Close enough does not count for a man that sends out the "immigration is BAD MOJO" emails - for him to have cut into a cake that was red, white and green (colors of the Mexican flag for those of you keeping up), Scott would have probably had a heart attack at his 50th Birthday Surprise Party ... Not a good scene! Not good for business ... so I leave it on the counter until in the morning when I have a fresh perspective on things - I am thinking that it will do ...

The next morning, I am in the bathroom and I hear my doodle bug moving around in his bed, yippee, he is up and ready to face the world today - I continue doing my business in the bathroom and in walks Chase with cake ALL OVER HIS FACE - and he proceeds to look at me and says "I did NOT eat the green cake mama" - now, one's first thought would have been - holy cow - he just ruined my cake - 9 eggs, 18 billion pounds of flour and sugar, down the drain, 3 more hours in the kitchen - but nooooo - the first thing that popped in my head was "EUREKA! If a 2 year old thinks the cake was green, then by jimminy, it must be green - time to make another cake" - we hit the Wal-Mart for new ingredients and another BLUE cake was made...

Chase had green cake for breakfast and for a snack later that day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

still waiting on pics of the cakes ;-)

Daddy & Chaser

Daddy & Chaser
Becoming a Man - The Early Years

Chase on Mommy's Popo's Tractor

Chase on Mommy's Popo's Tractor
Chase's Great- Popo's Tractor displayed at the 2008 HLSR